Sunday 8 August 2010

If You Cant Be Good, Be Good At Being Bad


(or.. how I learned to stop worrying and love painting)

I am now, officially, a Bad Artist.

This is the story...

For a laugh, and because I wanted to know what the definition of "bad art", I entered some work for inclusion in the Bad Art Salon at the Vintage at Goodwood Festival this year.

I dont often enter competitions or make submissions, but I saw what examples they had and I knew in my attic I had similar works that were truly breathtakingly awful and deserved recognition as such.

I have to admit I am not the world's greatest painter, I might do the odd poetic composition but really I dont have the patience for all the techinal minutae and really like to be frenetic and colourful. This technique does not lend itself well to life drawing unless you are a really good expressionist painter, rendering the figure usually means taking one's time and using subtltey..!

(This is why my recent work has been more in the arena of the found object)

So, in a marked moment of insight, I selected my ugliest work,and sent my application and JPEG. Imagine my surprise when I was selected as a finalist and rewarded a pass for Vintage for the weekend as a "prize" (more about that later).

This appeals to me in the sense of the ironic. Having waded through my MA and having to be very serious and "good" it was lovely to be "bad" for a change. Its great that an artist can have this freedom and I embrace the whole idea of a Bad Art Salon! The irony is perfect for someone trying to cultivate a Postmodern persona.. I dont know if this is what I'm trying to do but the way I see it, any publicity is good publicity!

2 comments:

  1. I loved every line here! Still smiling (and I am a bad artist too...very)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that!

    I didn't bother going to Goodwood in the end. I would've had to go on my own, and I dont do fashion, and it was torrential rain. Nice to get a freebie ticket anyway.
    Still waiting to hear if someone bought my "bad" painting, or whether I will have to drive to the other end of the county to fetch it home (where it will no doubt dwell in the dark shadows of my loft forever more..)
    Watch this space!

    ReplyDelete